Thursday 24 May 2012

Caramel: 24/5/12

It is 3.05am in the morning, and Ms Neta is feeling extremely sad and exhausted.  The reason.  Our guinea pig, Caramel, is dying in his last days.

My daughter discovered him yesterday morning - Thursday, 24th May 2012 - still in his cage, caked eyes with a shrivelled appearance.  I ran down to see him, picked him up and he was so cold.  Hysteria ensued.  I rang the Vet.  Had to ring back to make an appointment at 8.30am.  Got an appointment at 9.00am.  I gave him water, washed the gunk from his eyes, talked to him, held him to warm him up, hugged him.  I then rushed to the Vets to be informed, shortly after, that Caramel probably has kidney failure... and is gravelly ill. 

A month or so ago I noticed how much he was drinking plus he had lost a lot of weight but was still very active.  I was concerned but because he appeared OK did nothing except ensure he had fresh food.  2 days ago he was very active.  Yesterday, all the puff left him.  His female mate, Nitro and daughter, Toffee are present and happy. 

I am leaving for Canberra in 2 hours and have been awake since 1.30am.  I have had 3 hours sleep in 24 hours and have no desire to sleep due to the sadness I am feeling for the loss of our sweet, beautiful Caramel.  The boy is so wonderfully natured and he is still young.  No older than 2 years.  Why do our pets die?  A rhetorical question.

I am downstairs keeping him company.  He is on critical food, and we just need to encourage him to drink water and eat a little food beside the specialty critical food we have.  Its hard when an animal does not want to eat because they don't have the energy to do so.

Caramel will probably be gone within the week, and so Ms Neta will not be completely with it for a while.  Distraction and immense sadness of his decline in health is all-consuming for me at the moment.

Will add more later as this is my memory of my first guinea pig pet, Caramel.  Beautiful boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment